Infectious Diseases And Their Symptom
Symptoms are indications of a disorder or illness. Each infectious disease has its own specific signs and symptoms. There are general signs and symptoms common to many types of infectious diseases.
Common signs and symptoms of infectious diseases include:
- sore throat
- body ache
Common infectious diseases and their symptoms:
- Common Cold: Runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, coughing, headaches, and body aches.
- Influenza (flu): Fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscle or body aches, headaches, fatigue, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19): Fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Strep Throat: Sore throat, pain when swallowing, fever, red and swollen tonsils, and swollen lymph nodes in the front of the neck.
- E. coli: Severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
- Salmonella: Diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, fever, headache, and body aches.
Note: Do not use online information to self-diagnose.
When to See a Doctor
Seek medical attention if you:
- have trouble breathing
- have been coughing for more than a week
- have a severe headache with fever
- have an unexplained or prolonged fever
- have sudden vision problems
Catching an infectious disease may be unavoidable, but there exist many strategies to treat diseases once they have developed. As stated previously, the most common infectious diseases contracted in the workplace are caused by viruses and bacteria. Most individuals who catch an infectious disease can recover after getting plenty of fluids and rest. In some cases, individuals may require further treatment to recover or reduce pain. Antivirals and antibiotics are used to treat infectious diseases caused by viruses and bacteria, respectively.
- Antivirals: Antivirals are a class of medication used to treat viral infections. Antivirals stop viruses from reproducing or strengthen the body’s immune response to the virus. For example, oseltamivir, better known as Tamiflu, is an antiviral medication used to treat influenza.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics are a class of powerful medication that fight bacterial infections. Antibiotics do not work on viral infections. Antibiotics either kill or stop bacteria from reproducing. This allows the body to eliminate the pathogens. For example, amoxicillin is an antibiotic commonly used to treat strep throat.
Note: Antivirals and antibiotics are prescribed by healthcare providers.