This Technical Certificate is aimed towards those already experienced in the field of Oil & Gas and is known for being a technically challenging course. Those already certified with a similar level 3 qualification will notice how much more challenging this course is in comparison with others on offer of the same level. This means the NEBOSH Oil & Gas certificate is globally recognised and renowned for it’s outstanding caliber of candidates in possession of this qualification.
The NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Safety provides managers, safety representatives and recently qualified safety advisors with the specialist skills and know-how to effectively manage the risks associated with oil and gas industries and effectively influence operational safety decisions.
The course builds directly upon knowledge gained from the NEBOSH National or International General Certificate and comprises 1 unit and 1 written exam.
What kind of people take the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety?
People from all around the world who work in Oil and Gas and the connected industries. Oil and Gas is a hazardous industry. Managers, supervisors, offshore and onshore workers need specialist skills and know-how to fulfil their health and safety responsibilities. Students should already have an underpinning knowledge of safety issues and may already have studied one of NEBOSH’s qualifications.
What will I gain from this qualification?
Whether health and safety is your main responsibility, or just a part of what you do, the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety will give you vital understanding to help you perform better in your role.
You’ll enjoy taking the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety. You’ll discover techniques that are useful and practical in your industry, not just theoretical.
The NEBOSH name is a mark of excellence in the field of health and safety throughout the world. It’s what employers ask for. Career prospects – Health and safety is vital in Oil and Gas. It’s now a key skill for anyone working in the industry. Holding a NEBOSH qualification can help you stand out and bring you success and advancement.
What will my employer gain from this qualification?
A safer workplace –
The NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety is all about keeping people safe from injury and loss of life. For employers this also means protecting valuable assets and avoiding prosecution, litigation and loss of reputation.
An employer whose workers are NEBOSH qualified is an employer committed to health and safety. The NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety can help employers achieve international standards and can even help win new business.
Return on investment –
An employee with a NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety has practical knowledge that brings real value, wherever they operate.
What does the course cover?
The qualification focuses on hydrocarbon process safety, so that candidates can effectively discharge workplace health and safety responsibilities both onshore and offshore throughout the world. It also highlights the importance of process safety management.
- Hazards inherent in the extraction, storage and processing of raw materials and products
- Hydrocarbon process safety
- Fire protection and emergency response
- Logistics and transport operations
Minimum standard of English required for candidates
The standard of English required by candidates studying the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety must be such that they can both understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus. It is important to stress that the onus is on accredited course providers to determine their candidates’ standards of proficiency in English.
NEBOSH recommends that candidates undertaking this qualification should reach a minimum standard of English equivalent to an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 or higher in IELTS tests in order to be accepted onto an International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety programme.
On completion of the unit, you will be able to:
- Investigate incidents and use the lessons learnt to improve health and safety performance.
- Recognise hazards, risks and controls inherent to oil and gas industries.
- Implement a variety of risk management techniques used in oil and gas industries.
- Understand the principles of assessing and managing contractors.
- Undertake a safe shift handover.
- Recognise the types of failure modes that may lead to loss of containment from hydrocarbons.
Unit IOG1: Management of international oil and gas health and safety
Element 1: Health, safety and environmental management in context
- 1.1: Learning from incidents
- 1.2: Hazards inherent in oil and gas
- 1.3: Risk management techniques used in the oil and gas industries
- 1.4: Documented evidence of an organisation’s process safety arrangements
Element 2: Hydrocarbon process safety 1
- 2.1: Contractor management
- 2.2: Process Safety Management (PSM)
- 2.3: Role and purpose of a permit-to-work system
- 2.4: Key principles of safe shift handover
- 2.5: Plant operations and maintenance
- 2.6: Start up and shut down
Element 3: Hydrocarbon process safety 2
- 3.1: Failure modes
- 3.2: Other types of failures
- 3.3: Safety critical equipment controls
- 3.4: Safe containment of hydrocarbons
- 3.5: Fire hazards, risks and controls
- 3.6: Furnace and boiler operations
Element 4: Fire protection and emergency response
- 4.1: Fire and explosion in the oil and gas industries
- 4.2: Emergency response
Element 5: Logistics and transport operations
- 5.1: Marine transport
- 5.2: Land transport
There is a two‐hour written examination consisting of 1 ‘long answer’ question worth 20 marks and 10 ‘short answer’ questions, each worth 8 marks. At the end of each study unit there are exam type questions designed for delegates to use as revision aids when preparing for the written examination.