Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided or made available at readily accessible places. So far as is reasonably practicable, rooms containing sanitary conveniences shall be adequately ventilated and lit.
So far as is reasonably practicable, sanitary conveniences and the rooms containing them shall be kept in a clean and orderly condition.
Separate rooms containing sanitary conveniences shall be provided for men and women, except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from the inside.
Suitable and sufficient washing facilities, including showers if required by the nature of the work or for health reasons, shall sharp be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
Washing facilities shall be provided:
- In the immediate vicinity of every sanitary convenience, whether or not provided elsewhere;
- In the vicinity of any changing rooms.
Washing facilities shall include:
- A supply of clean hot and cold, or warm, water (which shall be running water sfarp);
- Soap or other suitable means of cleaning;
- Towels or other suitable means of drying.
Rooms containing washing facilities shall be sufficiently ventilated and lit.
Washing facilities and the rooms containing them shall be kept in a clean and orderly condition.
Separate washing facilities shall be provided for men and women, except where and so far as they are provided in a room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside and the facilities in each such room are intended to be used by only one person at a time.
An adequate supply of wholesome drinking water shall be provided or made available at readily accessible and suitable places.
Every supply of drinking water shall be conspicuously marked by an appropriate sign where necessary for reasons of health and safety.
Where a supply of drinking water is provided, there shall also be provided a sufficient number of suitable cups or other drinking vessels unless the supply of drinking water is in a jet from which persons can drink easily.
Changing Rooms and Lockers
Suitable and sufficient changing rooms shall be provided or made available at readily accessible places if:
- A worker has to wear special clothing for the purposes of their work;
- They cannot, for reasons of health or propriety, be expected to change elsewhere being separate rooms for, or separate use of rooms by, men and women where necessary for reasons of propriety.
Changing rooms shall:
- Be provided with seating;
- Include, where necessary, facilities to enable a person to dry any such special clothing and their own clothing and personal effects.
Suitable and sufficient facilities shall, where necessary, be provided or made available at readily accessible places to enable persons to lock away:
- Any such special clothing which is not taken home;
- Their own clothing which is not worn during working hours;
- Their personal effects.
Facilities for Rest
Suitable and sufficient restrooms or rest areas shall be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
Restrooms and rest areas shall:
- Include suitable arrangements to protect non-smokers from discomfort caused by tobacco smoke;
- Be equipped with an adequate number of tables and adequate seating with backs for the number of persons at work likely to use them at any one time;
- Where necessary, include suitable facilities for any person at work who is a pregnant woman or nursing mother to rest lying down;
- Include suitable arrangements to ensure that meals can be prepared and eaten;
- Include the means for boiling water;
- Be maintained at an appropriate temperature.