Importance Of Fire Extinguisher Maintenance
Fire extinguisher maintenance is something that should never be overlooked or taken lightly. By adhering to preventive measures, you can ensure the safety of your employees and the well-being of your property and possessions.
Whether you are dealing with a home fire or an industrial one, regular inspection and proper maintenance are essential to ensure that all types of fires don’t spread quickly and result in massive damage. Hence, it is highly advised to carry out routine fire extinguisher inspections at all times to minimize risk and enhance efficiency when tackling potential fire hazards.
Importance Of Fire Extinguisher Maintenance
More often than not, business owners are not paying attention to their fire extinguishers until they need to use them. However, the fire extinguisher is often the best method of fire protection that can prevent the fire from growing. Having a properly working fire extinguisher is code required for all commercial facilities. Every public facility must undergo annual testing on all the fire extinguishers in their buildings. Since fire extinguishers are used so often during a fire emergency, having one that works is essential for any public facility or business enterprise.
As mentioned earlier, fire extinguisher maintenance is essential for ensuring the safety of individuals and properties. Here are a few important benefits associated with regular fire extinguisher maintenance.
- Ensure readiness: Regular maintenance will ensure that your fire extinguishers are ready to be used at any time in an emergency.
- Reduce risk: Fire extinguisher maintenance can reduce the risks associated with fires and ensure maximum safety for all employees.
- Improve performance: Regular inspection and servicing of fire extinguishers will ensure that they are in optimal working condition and can be used efficiently to put out fires.
- Identify defects: By conducting regular inspections, you can identify any defects or malfunctions with the apparatus before it becomes too late to do anything about them.
- Detect hazards: Fire extinguisher maintenance and inspection can also help identify any potential fire hazards that could be present in the area and develop preventive solutions.
- Compliance: Fire extinguisher maintenance is often necessary for compliance with local safety regulations and codes.
- Cost savings: Regular inspection and maintenance of your fire extinguishers can save you a lot of money, as it will reduce the likelihood of having to replace them due to wear or damage.
- Replacement: Fire extinguisher maintenance will also help you determine when an extinguisher needs to be replaced with a new one so it can remain effective and safe.
- Prevent misuse: Inspections and servicing can ensure that fire extinguishers are appropriately used and not misused for any other purpose.
- Peace of mind: Knowing that your property is safe and secure due to regular fire extinguisher maintenance can provide peace of mind, allowing you to focus on other tasks.
It is important to remember that without proper maintenance, a fire extinguisher can become ineffective and be unable to extinguish a fire. Therefore, keeping your fire extinguishers in top working condition is essential as ensuring they are inspected regularly by trained personnel. This will not only ensure maximum safety but also provide you with peace of mind.
Things To Keep In Mind In Maintaining Fire Extinguisher
Notice The Tags
Ever examine a fire extinguisher and find tags attached to it? These tags indicate when that specific fire extinguisher was inspected. This information can provide the building owners vital information regarding the maintenance of their fire extinguishers.
Always Seek The Service Of A Professional
Fire extinguishers are more complicated than most people realize. That is why it is essential to find a professional to conduct regular inspections on fire extinguishers. These professionals look for several things when conducting annual inspections.
Annual inspections will examine whether there was any tampering or signs of damage to the fire extinguisher, which could result in it not working. Also, these inspections will look for the correct pressure, which is necessary for a properly working fire extinguisher.
In addition, professionals can check whether there is a proper volume of the extinguishing agent inside. Lastly, yearly inspections will provide insight into the amount of free-flowing powder within the fire extinguisher.
In addition to the annual inspection, fire extinguishers require a thorough six-year and twelve-year inspection (known as a hydro test). During the six-year test, the technician will empty, refill and pressurize the fire extinguisher.
The hydro test every twelve years involves emptying the extinguisher and filling it with pressurized water. This identifies if there are any leaks or corrosion. The extinguisher is then dried and refilled, and pressurized.
These thorough inspections will work step-by-step to ensure that all fire extinguishers in your building are in proper working order.
You made a good point when you said that regular inspections on fire extinguishers must be conducted by a professional since they are complicated. This is something that I will share with the management of the condominium building where I have been staying for over two years now. I noticed that the fire extinguishers on the building lack updated inspection tags, so it will make sense for them to consider getting a new annual fire safety statement.